DIY Hot Air Balloon Decoration
I always like to add dimension to my designs and hanging things from the ceiling is a one way to achieve it. For the Cloud Dream Bedroom project, I thought of adding a personalized touch with these DIY hot air balloons.
To begin you will need:
1. Paper lantern: You choose your design and color scheme. For this project I used a basic white one. You can find them online or even at Walmart and prices vary from $1-$5 depending on size.
2. Paper cups: I was looking in the baking aisle one day and found these Wilton Kraft Scallop Baking Cups - 24 count. They were originally for baking purposes but I liked the design and used them as a basket for the hot air balloon. You can get creative and use anything when doing crafts.
3. Twine string: you can find these at any hobby store or online.
4. Duck Washi Tape: I used pink, purple and aqua to make all the details, you can find them here or at any craft or hobby shop. Again, you can choose your color scheme and don't be afraid to get creative.
5. Bamboo skewers: I used them to connect the lantern to the basket, but you can also use string or twine for this step
6. Glue gun, a few glue sticks and a pair of scissors.
Lets get started! First, decorate the basket, I used the purple tape for this and taped it around the basket. You could also use stickers or some twine with a bow. Endless possibilities.
After finishing the basket, place your lantern upside down and glue the skewers to the lantern on the paper overlap and at equal distances. Use the lantern frame as a guide to place the skewers at the same height. Then, glue the skewers to the inside of the basket. Use the twine to create a semi circle detail all around the lantern and glue the twine to the skewers.
To cover up the glue from the skewers and twine, make a few details and glue them on top. I used the purple tape, cut a piece and fold it in half; then cut out a triangle shape and voila!
For the detailing on top of the hot air balloon, use the twine and measure the circumference of the lantern on the area you want to decorate. Cut the twine and start decorating. Use the tape again and place it at equal distances, place the center of your strip of tape on the string. Fold the strip and cut to make a triangle shape.
Repeat this process for the second detailed string, but make it an 2-3 inches longer. After you are done decorating, tie each string and place them both on top of the lantern. Glue the intersections of both strings and some of the triangles to the lantern. You're done!
After you're finished, hang it from the ceiling and dream of the stellar ride you'll have through the clouds. If you have any questions or comments leave them bellow and thanks for stoping by!